Tuesday, April 8, 2014

a little snippet on sharing our view of others.

We live in a world where - I believe - it is getting increasingly harder to figure out how we view ourselves through others' eyes. Our self-identity, if you will.

The other day, a friend & I were walking, talking about this & that & life & everything else. And she said something about how careful she is now, compared to how reckless she used to be.

"You feel adventurous to me," I said.

I think it's a great gift, to tell someone exactly how you see them. We walk around all the time with these ideas about everyone around us, but we fail to remember that those people often have no idea how exactly we see them. And maybe, for some of those individuals, that's a good thing. Because, naturally, we don't have positive outlooks on all of our peers. 

But just think how wonderful it would be, every once in a while, for someone to share their unique viewpoint of your character, with you. It would be akin to someone taking a candid snapshot of you, placing it in your hands, & saying, "This is you, to me. This is how I see you."

Just imagine.

8 comments:

siddathornton said...

That's interesting to think about! I've had that happen a couple of times, where I've shared how I think about myself in a certain way usually as an off-hand comment and the person I've been talking to has been like, "Oh, but I...." And it's always nice to hear what they say.

You switched up the look of the blog! I like it. :)

siddathornton said...

Love this thought! Well, assuming people are complimentary. ;)
Pretty sure the negative viewpoints would cause some nervous breakdowns.

siddathornton said...

What a wonderful thought.

siddathornton said...

I agree. I think lots of people [myself included] spend a lot of time feeling self-conscious about how the look through other people's eyes. Sharing these little tidbits with one another alleviates a bit of that worry, I think.

siddathornton said...

Haha, you're right, they probably would. I only share the positive tidbits, unless I'm expressly asked for advice! ;)

siddathornton said...

Ahhhh, thank you! I've been belly-aching about how things look over here for a long time, and I finally figured out how to make it look a little more "me." It's still a work in progress, but it's getting there, slowly but surely. I need to learn some more code so I can figure out how to execute the look I'm going for. It isn't easy!


I LOVE situations like you just described. It's so nice to hear what pieces of your personality people pick up on, how they see you. It's just a cool thing.

siddathornton said...

:)

siddathornton said...

What a beautiful observation! This makes me want to make sure that I tell my loved ones what they mean to me and how I view them.

the back and forth.

Justin had to turn on the air conditioner again last night.  It's October 26 - doesn't that mean the heater can stay on? Doesn't...