Tuesday, October 8, 2013

six things.



an admittedly unrelated, goofy photo of myself. just because.

A while back, Sarah tagged me in her Six Things post. Since then, I've been attempting to dream up my answers, & now I think I've finally got some I'm proud of. I love reading others' posts like this, & I'm excited to share! Here we go...

What book or movie best describes how you view life?

Funnily enough, the movie that keeps popping into my mind when I think about this, is The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I still remember vividly the first time I read the book: my highlighter's cap permanently off, me painting the pages in fluorescent yellows & pinks. I was awestruck with the beauty, the simplicity, & the gnawing pain & emotion that Chbosky wrote with. And then, this past Valentine's Day, when Justin & I viewed the movie... I was just as breath-taken, just as in awe at its beauty. And I like to think that I view life the way the characters do... through a lens of experiences, memorable moments, & that aching feeling of nostalgia & trying to grab on to time as it slips through my fingers.

Here's what I consider one of the most moving scenes from the book:

"I hate you."

My sister said it different than she said it to my dad. She meant it with me. She really did. 

"I love you," was all I could say in return.

"You're a freak, you know that? You've always been a freak. Everyone says so. They always have.

"I'm trying not to be."

Let's talk brunch. If we were to hit up one of DC's finest, what would you be ordering off the menu?

Well, let's be honest: I'd start things off with a steaming cuppa joe. One of the highlights of any of my mornings finds its home in a warm mug. And going to brunch with someone, & chatting with them over a delicious cup of coffee, will always top my list of favorite things about that meal on lazy Sundays. But... let's see.... as far as food, I would more than likely branch out & try something I've never had before. I try to be adventurous in that way sometimes. And to finish up, I think I'd order a mimosa. Because what's brunch without a mimosa? [I say that, but I rarely indulge in them]. 

Tell us about a time you surprised yourself (could be in a good or bad way).

I surprised myself a lot this summer. Somewhere in between my two psychology classes, I found myself rising at the early call time of 6:15 a.m. Not because I needed to, but because I wanted to. I'd wake, come into the kitchen, make myself some coffee & breakfast, then slowly wake up for my day, reading my favorite blogs & watching my favorite YouTube subscriptions. I've tried & tried to maintain that routine this semester, but I guess with the sun rising at a later time, so am I.

If you could live in a different time period, what would it be and why?

Sarah, you have the best questions. I wish I had a clear answer to this one, but the truth is, I'm enthralled with the past. A whole lot of it, in fact. I find previous decades & time periods fascinating. How I would have loved growing up in my parents' generation & attending Woodstock, or really any concert, & swaying to that infectious music that was alive & thriving then. And then there's the roaring twenties, with flapper's garb, blowout parties... the glitz & glamor. And then, there's the early 1900s, with their beautiful corseted dresses, perfect manors, refined speech... I could go on & on. I think culture is an interesting topic indeed.

What gives you inspiration?

This is a difficult question for me to answer, because it varies greatly. There are days when scrolling through Pinterest, or my Instagram feed, or my blog roll delivers that swift injection of renewed interest... of renewed inspiration. But, there are days when those very things have the opposite effect & beat me down into the doldrums of lackluster thoughts & dim ideas. On those particular days, I find being in the outdoors, or perhaps putting pen to paper, or perhaps clicking away on my laptop's keyboard, or perhaps snapping photos of ordinary things... well, those things usually do the trick. And if none of that is sufficing, sometimes long, hot showers are where some of my best ideas emerge. Or, on the treadmill.

Quick! What's the last thing you Googled?

Well, about the last fifteen things that were Googled on my computer are things Justin Googled about Tim Tebow. But, the last thing I Googled was rather dull: custom youtube thumbnail size.

Sarah, thank you so much for tagging me to do this! It was fun, & like I said, you had such great questions! I'm going to have to dream up questions another day & tag people to answer them then, because right now I'm at a loss [it's been a long day around these parts!]. 

Hope everyone is having a great week! I'm still reveling in the joy of being back to blogging regularly. [I know... one day I'll shut up about it. One day.]

LSC

photo: the goofy things we do | taken by Justin in March 2013

2 comments:

siddathornton said...

I'm so happy that you did this and that you enjoyed my questions! I loved reading your responses. Your answer about The Perks of Being a Wallflower definitely resonated with me, and I still consider that one of my favorite books of all time. "That aching feeling of nostalgia" describes it so perfectly. I think I have to read this book again for just that reason. Thanks for sharing your six things!

siddathornton said...

thank you for tagging me! :)


i really want to read Perks again soon - it's been far too long since i last read it.

the back and forth.

Justin had to turn on the air conditioner again last night.  It's October 26 - doesn't that mean the heater can stay on? Doesn't...