i know. asparagus tart - it sounds like something i'd end up burning.
BUT i managed to make this between getting off work at 5:30 & making it to our potluck book club meeting at 7 - and on a monday, no less.. without burning it. and the finished product is pretty, edible (some have even said yummy), & different.
i'd venture to say that this recipe is extremely simple.
so, on wednesday night, i decided to make another one with my leftover puff pastry sheet & asparagus.
and yet, somehow i didn't manage to take one single solitary picture of the end result. so, my apologies, martha stewart, i'm going to have to use your photo (i hope she'll forgive me).
flour for work surface
1 sheet frozen puff pastry
2 cups shredded gruyere cheese (i substituted swiss)
1.5 pounds medium or thick asparagus
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper
1. preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. roll the puff pastry onto the floured surface & arrange it to your preference. i rolled the edges in.3. place pastry onto a baking sheet & let brown in oven for 15 minutes.
4. remove pastry from oven & sprinkle with shredded cheese.
5. trim bottoms of asparagus spears to fit crosswise across pastry.
6. arrange asparagus in a single layer on top of cheese, alternating ends & tips.
7. brush with oil & season with salt & pepper.
8. bake 20-25 minutes, until spears are tender.
and it's healthy, too.
(photo: martha stewart)