the meaning of music.

Today is a day for sharing music that means something to us. In the spirit of the day, I've put together a little Grooveshark playlist for you. But before we launch into discussions about these songs, I have to say that I love this prompt for Blog Every Day In May. Music means so much to me; like I said here, it takes me to a different place. It really does quiet & soothe my soul. There are so many songs that should be on this list - including the first dance song from our wedding - but I decided to go with the first five songs that popped into my head. Thus, I give you...

meaningful. by Lauren Sowell on Grooveshark

Buddy Holly, Weezer | My cousin took me to my first-ever concert when I was fifteen - Weezer, in Dallas. And when reunited with my parents afterwards, they told me this was the one song they could hear & recognize from miles away. I think about that every time I hear this song. 

Angeles, Elliott Smith | Elliott Smith is one of my favorite artists. Has been since 2002, & always will be. Angeles is the first song of his that I ever heard, & I still remember exactly where I was sitting, exactly how I was feeling, when those first few notes poured over me. Back on my old blog, I wrote a little bit about Elliott - along with another artist that had a big impact on me - here.

I Believe in a Thing Called Love, The Darkness | 2004. Senior year of high school. Three girls are piled into a red mustang convertible, with the top down. They are picking up one of the underclassmen girls from their school, headed toward lunch or coffee or something in-between. They are eating root beer Dum-Dums, & singing this song at the top of their lungs. 

Home, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros | When Lindsey & I worked together, I like to think we built a bit of a musical mecca in our little office-closet. I have always loved alternative music, but Linz had a way of making it seem like it was the best sounds our ears had even been met with [probably because it was]. This song, along with tunes by Grizzly Bears, OK go,  & some other select artists, will always remind me of my time working in the Neurosurgery office with someone who would become one of my Best Friends. 

Silvery Sleds, Army Navy | Somewhat similar to the passage above, this song reminds me of the Neurosurgery office. This memory, however, comes a little bit before the comfort of Edward Sharpe - this song was the soundtrack to the very beginning of my time on the third floor of LSU. It was the week I started my job as Editorial Consultant - the night prior to my first day, I ate an entire pint of Americone Dream, watched True Blood until very late into the night with Kara, then woke up after way too little sleep to amble into my brand new office.

What songs hold special meaning for you? Go share on Jenni's blog. And check out my other Grooveshark playlists here.


Comments

Melanie Heyns said…
I believe in a thing called love, The Darkness is also a song I remember from high school. Everyone was singing it.

Mel
http://mels-corner.blogspot.com/
Seoul Sold said…
When I saw Elliot in your blog title on the link-up I was like...PLEASE BE ELLIOT SMITH! You didn't disappoint me and I couldn't be happier with the rest of your song choices.
April said…
Home would definitely be on my list too. That song never gets old. Plus I'm from Alabama and went to college in Arkansas.
Sarah said…
Oooh, "Angeles" is one of my favorite songs! I love Elliott Smith. Whenever I listen to his music I notice that I pay attention to his words more so than for other artists, and he had a way of pulling people in with his music. Good pick. :)

Popular Posts